Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Go-To-Gal Designer Challenge: Hazel and Ruby

What is a Go-to Gal Designer Challenge you may ask? Once a month the Paper Crafts &Scrapbooking Magazine Go-to Gals will challenge each other to create a project focusing on products from a particular manufacturer. We plan to feature one manufacturer the last Wednesday of each month. Just for fun! This month we are featuring Hazel & Ruby!


I love making home decor projects for our house! And I love when I can use my paper crafting supplies to create them. This relatively new company, Hazel & Ruby, has changed the look of paper crafting products and projects to facilitate that even more! Let me show you how creative their products are, but more important, how easy they are to use! 

(This shelf is in my son's bathroom. Its been a work in progress. I keep adding things as I find them. I am getting closer to being finished after adding these two projects!)


I started with a burlap-covered canvas I purchased at Michael's in Park City, UT during Ed Board. I knew it would be a good purchase and worth the weight in my suitcase! :) I trimmed Hazel & Ruby Pass the Tissue Candy Apple/White tissue paper to fit the 8x10 canvas.


This is tissue paper. Just like you would wrap a gift with. I love that its on a roll. It allows you to be so much more creative! I trimmed the edges away by tearing the tissue paper.


To adhere the paper to the canvas, I used Matte Medium. Use a gentle pressure when placing the tissue paper on the canvas. And the reason I say that is, not because the paper will tear, but because you can get too much of the texture of the burlap through the tissue.


Then I moved on to the COOLEST product, Stencil Masks! A Stencil Mask is a mask that is repositionable and re-useable! You can continue to use the images over and over again on any kind of project!

I loved the way the Child's Play sentiment of "you are my sunshine" was laid out on the backing. Wanting to keep it exactly in the shape and spacing, I used a piece of transfer paper from my Silhouette. 


The transfer paper picks up the letters and then allows me to place them on my project.


Using basic white paint, I painted over the top of the Stencil Mask.


Once the paint dried, I carefully lifted the masks.


I placed the Stencil Masks back onto the original backing. I did not remove the paint, but they do wipe clean easily. They keep their tackiness and are ready for my next project!


I added a twine-tied wood button to the center of the sunshine for a little extra touch.


I made one more canvas, because---rubber ducky! I painted the small 4x4 canvas with yellow paint. Then I applied my rubber duck Stencil Mask. Once the first layer dried, I went over the top with a lighter mix of yellow paint. I added a Maya Road wood button, with the heart accented with an enamel shape from WRMK.

Making these projects was a ton of fun! Are you inspired? Need a bit more inspiration? Be sure and visit everyone and see what they have up their sleeves!

thanks for stopping by!

~kimberly


3 comments:

cghundley said...

Such a cute
sign! Great
way to make
this.
Carla from Utah

Helen Gullett said...

WOW! Gorgeous decorations! I love those polkadot and duck :)

Linsey R said...

How clever and charming! I think this is the most lovely idea for a mud room or foyer. I'd love to stop at this cheerful spot and hang up my outerwear upon entering my home (or any home for that matter). It's very sweet and inspiring Kim! Thanks for sharing! :) hope you have a great weekend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...